Pages

Wednesday, July 7, 2021

Sociology in Ireland: Some random reflections [Scholarly Article - Irish Journal of Sociology, July 2021]

Title:
Sociology in Ireland: Some random reflections 
 
Author:
Mary P Corcoran
Department of Sociology, Maynooth University, Maynooth, Co. Kildare W23 F2H6, Ireland
 
Published:
Irish Journal of Sociology, 5 July 2021
 
Abstract:
2021 has been a year for looking back as well as forwards. In this article, I reflect on the state of languishing induced by lockdown, and the intensification of uncertainty in our everyday lives. I offer some biographical details of the early years of my career, which has largely been within a single institution, Maynooth University. The late Professor Liam Ryan was my boss and later my friend from 1990 until his death in 2015. His (typically) acerbic insights on the state of Irish sociology were recorded in 1984 for an issue of the Sociological Association of Ireland Bulletin. Re-visiting his prognosis today, I reflect on North–South relations in the discipline, on the challenge of forging a public role for Irish sociology, and on the growth of a precariat within the academic discipline. I conclude with some comments on the enduring relevance of sociology as we come to terms with post-pandemic life.